Wednesday 25 April 2018

Halloween story: The Figure

The Figure

So there I was, it was almost dark outside, and there I was, alone at school. At first, I was sure that there would be someone else there, like the guard or someone in reception, but I was wrong. How did I end up alone at school?

The first thing I tried to do was (of course) going to the kitchen to get some food for the night. The only thing I found was bread and some cheese. I could work something out with that. Next thing I did was to go and check in secretary and see if there was anyone there. And there was no one there, I was completely alone.

Around an hour later, I realised it was completely dark outside so what I tried to do next was to find a place to sleep. I was kind of scared, which was normal, and I chose the kitchen. There, I could use the heat of the hob to keep me warm during the night and, just in case, to use the knives if I needed them.

It was almost midnight and I couldn't sleep, obviously, so I started walking around to try to relax. Hours before I had tried to talk to my parents, but none of them answered my texts and phone calls. They must have been so worried by that time…

At least, I was perfectly fine, I managed to stay warm, I ate, and found myself a place to lie down. After around half an hour of walking around the kitchen, I finally felt tired enough to sleep. I made a blanket out of the aprons that were lying there and I used piled trash bags as a pillow. When I was just about to fall asleep, I heard a noise. At first I had no idea of what it was, but after 10 seconds I recognised it clearly. A telephone. I thought about the place where I could find a telephone in school, so I went to reception again.

There it was, the ringing phone, and I picked it up. “Hello?” I said. But no one replied, the only thing I heard was a buzzing noise in the background. “Listen, I’m here by myself and I don’t know what to do,” I explained. But again, no one replied, just the buzz. So, kind of scared, I hung up. I stared at the phone, hoping that it didn’t ring again. And in fact, it didn’t. But there was something else, I spotted a small piece of paper just underneath the phone, I unfolded it and it said; “Look outside”. Terrified, I went to the door and looked to the car park. I couldn't believe what I saw. There was a car with its lights on and in front of it was a figure, it was a human-like figure, but it wasn’t human. It was like 3 meters tall but very very thin, and I could tell that it was smiling at me. Then, he raised his arms and all of the car lights turned on, the school lights too and all the cars started beeping.

Then, I woke up. Thank God, it was only a nightmare. I was still at school though, that was real. I looked at the time and it was 4:13 am. I realised that was the same exact time when the telephone rang in my nightmare. But I managed to calm down, and went to sleep again.

I couldn't sleep, that nightmare had freaked me out. I went to reception again, just to check everything was OK. No phone ringing and no 3-meter-tall figures. But I spotted a tiny note again. I was scared by that time but I had to open it. I unfolded it and it said: “Here we go again”. Then, the telephone rang.

S. LÓPEZ and M. ZULUETA

No comments:

Post a Comment